Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Everyone is on the strike: the train drivers, the gas and electricity workers, the students. Since 14 November, I have come to know the joys of that wonderful French tradition of "la grève". The uni has been blockaded by students who refuse entry to all and are now camped out there day and night. This morning I received a rather dramatic e-mail from one of my teachers updating us on the situation and enquiring as to whether anyone happens to know anyone with a spare room in which we could hold the class as unfortunately his house is too small. He then went on to say something about his liberty and freedom of speech being suppressed through threat of violence and that we should all maintain our solidarity. So, I may not be learning French in the intended, institutionalised way but I'm definitely getting a taste of the French lifestyle!