Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The "manifestation" (demonstration) continues... After almost a month of student strikes over a new law which threatens the autonomy of universities by allowing businesses to give them financial support, the university is open again... at least, so I was told. This morning I turned up at the front of the building to find that the entrance was blocked with bike racks, trolleys and a jumble of other odd items and was being guarded by a few diehard left-wing students. I was ready to turn back but was then informed by a scruffy young idealist that I was welcome to climb through the window and have a look at their "work". Inside I saw that the usual bored looking students and notice boards had been replaced with camping gear and tables covered with communist flyers. A friendly girl advised me that normal lessons were still not on but had been replaced by "classes" organised by the students: discussion groups, watching inspiring movies etc. After nodding politely and feigning interest for a good few minutes, I climbed back out the window, still quite undecided on my opinion of the whole thing. Generally a supporter of left-wing causes, I'm having trouble taking sides this time: while I would usually oppose such a law; the French university system seems to be in such desperate need of reform and who's to say that the support of businesses wouldn't improve the quality of French unis? I can't see them getting much worse... then again, maybe my experience in Grenoble is not a true representation of university standards over here.